Trustdata publishes report on China’s online hotel reservation industry in the first half of 2019
- China’s online hotel reservation industry continued to grow rapidly, with an MAU reaching 100 million in the second quarter, while room nights booked in the first half were up 20% year-on-year.
- China’s GDP per capita to exceed USD 10,000 in 2019, accelerating the increase in the number of new tourists and boosting demand for hotel reservations
- Among the main platforms, Meituan maintained the No. 1 position in overnight stays for the first half of 2019, followed by the traditional OTA Ctrip
Younger users are on the rise, with the share of post-90 users surpassing post-80 users for the first time. The potential for the post-2000 period is enormous. Young users born in the 1990s and 2000s are less under pressure from parenting, mortgage and auto spending. They have a strong desire to spend online, with a higher demand for online hotel reservations.
Online hotel reservations continued to enter markets at the county level in the first half of 2019, with 70% of new users coming from third-tier and lower-tier cities.
Platform performance information:
- In the first half of 2019, Meituan led the industry in terms of overnight stays, accounting for 47.3% of the market, more than the total share of Ctrip, Qunar and eLong combined.
- Meituan & Fliggy led the industry in terms of the number of young users, with post-90 and post-00 users accounting for over 50%.
- Ctrip ranked first in user retention, while Tongcheng-eLong and Meituan ranked second and third.
- Qunar ranked first in terms of daily openings, followed by Tongcheng-eLong and Meituan.
- OTA players around the world form a four-pole competitive landscape, and leisure travel is the main battleground. Similar to Expedia, Ctrip has been growing for 20 years and focuses on business travel. Meituan, although young, is similar in nature to Booking, focusing mainly on the leisure and vacation market.
The full report:
Trustdata, as the largest mobile internet big data monitoring platform in China, is dedicated to becoming the leading provider of mobile application data content solutions in the Chinese era of big data to provide the most professional services such as data products, consulting, etc. in various areas of the mobile terminal for customers.
Trustdata covers over 60,000 applications and 200 million monthly active users. Through the acquisition, analysis and study of Chinese mobile Internet big data, it helps entrepreneurs, different fields of mobile industry and investors to know the business conditions of their applications and the trend of the entire mobile application market, and helps practitioners in this industry to better make marketing decisions on products, marketing and investment strategy.