Judge rejects council’s request for ‘no notice’ injunction to stop asylum seekers being placed in hotel
The High Court has refused to grant North Northamptonshire Council a ‘no notice’ injunction preventing asylum seekers from being accommodated in a hotel in its area.
The local authority said: “The Court has determined that it does not want to consider the application on this basis and that all parties should instead be given an opportunity to be heard from the outset. The application was therefore dismissed on this basis; the merits of the request were not examined.
North Northamptonshire said it was considering reapplying for an injunction with notice and was awaiting the results of other local authorities who have taken legal action.
He added that he “continues to try to obtain further confirmation from the Home Office contractor on key information which will help the council support the accommodation of asylum seekers in suitable accommodation in the North Northamptonshire”.
The article continues below…
Cllr Jason Smithers, leader of North Northamptonshire Council, said: ‘We do not believe the Royal Hotel in Kettering is the appropriate place to accommodate asylum seekers for a number of reasons.
“We believe that the proposals have not been properly considered to ensure the best possible welfare for asylum seekers and the local communities in which they are accommodated.
Cllr Smithers added: “We are now considering our options in light of the High Court’s rejection of the injunction.”
The local authority sought the injunction ‘without notice’ after learning of Home Office plans to move asylum seekers to the Royal Hotel, with a move-in date of November 3.
North Northamptonshire is one of six local authorities known to have sought an interim injunction to stop asylum seekers being accommodated in local hotels, with the Home Office seeking to relieve pressure on its processing centers and in Manston in particular.
East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Ipswich Borough Council, Great Yarmouth Borough Council and Stoke-on-Trent City Council have all received interim injunctions.
Linden J refused permission to extend Stoke-on-Trent’s interim injunction last week, while injunctions won by East Riding, Ipswich and Great Yarmouth remain in place, pending decisions.
The outcome of an application for an interim injunction by Fenland District Council is not yet known.
In the High Court yesterday (8 November), Holgate J reserved judgment following a hearing on whether Ipswich and East Riding’s interim injunctions should be extended.